Have you ever had your parade rained on by inclement weather… literally? A few raindrops are enough to put a damper on any outdoor event and cold weather can send anyone inside shivering. Unless you come prepared. One of the most creative innovations in the outdoor industry is the weather pod for outdoor events.
What are weather pods? Many people would describe them as a personal shelter that, as the name implies, is weather resistant. But there are several different types of pods with a variety of uses, not only to shield you from inclement weather. Read on to learn everything you need to know about weather pods.
What are weather pods?
Essentially, weather pods are personal shelters. Most people would describe them as a weather tent, except smaller with room for one person, a chair and coolers or other gear you might need for a nice day out. The typical weather pod is made of clear plastic on each side so that you can see out from every angle. One side has a zipper enclosure, allowing you to enter the pod, zip up the entry flap and close yourself inside if you wish.
You might recognize weather pods from the popular TV show “Shark Tank,” where they first gained widespread attention. Business magnate Marc Cuban saw major opportunity in the sports industry for this innovative product and chose to make an investment.
Since then, the weather pods line has greatly expanded, implementing all kinds of new and innovative features. Connect Up pods, for example, feature multiple flaps so that you can connect pods together to form a larger pod. There are even Bug Screen Pods that are essentially “walking pods,” allowing you to do yard work and keep your face protected from mosquitoes, cicadas and other nuisances. Spending the day at the beach? The BeachPod Pop-Up Tent lets you tan your body while shielding your face, allowing you to enjoy a good book as you achieve a golden glow.
What are weather pods made of?
When it comes to outdoor tents or shelters, including weather pods, portability and protection from the elements is key. Each pod is made from lightweight materials that are weather resistant.
Typical wearable pods, including the MyPod XL, have weatherproof polyester floors and roofs. The “windows” and “doors” on three sides are made of clear PVC and have zippers both inside and out for easy access. Other options, including the Bug Screen Pod, replace the PVC with ultra-soft, fine-gauge mesh on all four sides.
There are many different types of weather pods, each made of similar materials including polyester fabric, PVC or mesh. Each model has a memory wire inside that allows the pod to instantly pop open—plus, it’s protected from strong winds!
Overall, the thing to remember is that all weather pods products keep you protected from the elements. Whether you’re watching a game in rainy weather or need to keep pesky bugs away during outdoor events in the summer, these products are designed to withstand regular use in outdoor environments.
How do weather pods work, exactly?
One of the key advantages weather pods have over traditional tents or other temporary shelters is that they feature a no-assembly, one-piece design. Once you unzip the protective case and pull out the weather pod the memory wire inside pops up, with barely no effort on your part. Just grab one of the edges, flip the pod open and stand it upright. In less than 10 seconds, you have a shelter that keeps out the rain, shades you from the sun and keeps you comfortable outdoors.
Common uses for a weather tent
Wearable pods serve a variety of purposes. Whether you’re watching a game or enjoying an afternoon at the beach, there’s always a need for protection from the elements. Here are some of the most common uses for weather pods:
- Sporting Events: The need for shelter at sporting events like games or practices spawned the birth of weather pods. Sit on the sidelines comfortably for Friday night football games—you’ll never have to worry about chilly nights or rainy weather. They’re ideal in warmer seasons, too, shielding you from the sun at baseball games or soccer practices.
- Concerts in the Park: Nighttime concerts or movies in the park can get chilly even on summer evenings. Set up your pod and stay warm and entertained.
- Bird Watching: Stay sheltered while you watch for unique and rare species of birds. The clear plastic enclosure means you’ll never miss an ornithological opportunity!
- Hunting: Hunters need to stay out of sight of potential prey. Keep warm and hidden away, fully enclosed on your next hunting excursion with wearable pods.
- Fishing: Whether fishing at your favorite lake during the summer or even ice fishing on the coldest days of winter, weather pods keep you sheltered from the elements as you wait for the perfect catch.
- Supporting Mobility: The ChairPod is an innovative product that slips over a wheelchair or large folding chair. They help you stay active and present no matter the conditions outside.
- Working Outside: The wearable pod WalkingPod is the perfect way to get outdoor tasks done. It pops open and rests on your shoulders so that you have complete mobility, and the super-fine mesh is breathable while keeping pesky insects out.
Here’s why people love weather pods for outdoor events
There’s a lot to love about weather pods. From temperature modulation to staying connected yet sheltered, here are some of the special features you’ll enjoy:
- Warmth: When zipped up, the temperature inside a weather pod stays up to 35 degrees warmer than outside air—perfect for keeping you comfortable during chilly weather.
- Simple Set-Up: Weather pods differ from outdoor tents in their ease of set-up. Unzip the bag and the weather pod practically sets itself up—unzip the door and come on in. They’re just as easy to take down and pack away, too.
- Connection Options: Specialty connection pods can connect family and friends under one roof. The sides of each pod can be unzipped so that groups can stay comfortable together.
- Insect Protection: Rain and wind aren’t the only annoying things you have to deal with when you’re outdoors. During warm weather, you also have to avoid pesky insects. Weather pods with mesh or PVC panels keep bugs out so you can enjoy outdoor concerts, movies in the park, fireworks shows and more.
Pros and cons of weather pods
There are several great aspects that make weather pods convenient and handy for a variety of uses. One of the key advantages to bringing these personal shelters to your next outdoor event is that you’ll be well-protected from the elements, including the hot sun or soaking-wet weather.
Portability is another great aspect of weather pods. When collapsed, weather pods fit into a small bag with zipper enclosure. It’s easy to carry and take wherever you’re going, whether you’re heading to the beach or a sports match. Even if you have to park far from your destination, you won’t be weighed down by this temporary shelter.
There aren’t too many cons to using weather pods, but one common customer complaint is that the inside of the shelter can sometimes fog up in certain temperatures or weather conditions. While opening the weather tent flap a bit can make the fog on the plastic “windows” go away, it also brings in potentially cold temperatures.
Another potential con to weather pods is that packing it away can be a complicated process. You have to fold up the shelter in a specific way, or you risk damaging it. There are plenty of videos and guides available, and once you get the hang of folding, you’ll do it quickly each time. Don’t forget to let it dry out completely or wipe it down before stowing it again. A little patience and practice will keep your pod in good condition.
Should you buy a weather pod sports tent?
If you love spending time in the great outdoors and want protection from the weather, wearable pods are handy, portable shelters to have on hand. Their ease of setup and lightweight design make them ideal for so many uses, from sitting comfortably on the sidelines of your kids’ sports practices to enjoying a day at the beach. Whether you want a shield from the hot sun, pouring rain or cold gusts of wind, there’s really no better temporary shelter on the market.
Now that you know all there is to know about weather pods, find the right one for your needs and stay comfortable in the great outdoors.